Yoshimitsu Umekawa (born 1976, Tokyo) is a photographer who lives and works in Tokyo.
Since 1999, he has worked mainly in the field of commercial art including culture and music magazines, CD covers, fashion, advertisements and has exhibited as a freelance photographer. Excelling at portraits of musicians (including Daft Punk, Rammellzee, Kool Keith and Missy Elliott), he has been photographing club culture and the hip hop scene in Japan for the last 10 years. In 2012, he started to focus on creating his own artwork and self-published his debut photo book 'LEAVE ME ALONE' in an unconventional format. In the same year, his new series of work 'Incarnation' made the cover of 'TRANSIENCE - Art Issue 004' by Lodown Magazine (an art and culture magazine from Berlin, Germany). Also in 2012, another controversial photo book titled 'DRIP BOMB' was published by ERECT LAB.
He will have his debut solo exhibition in the spring of 2013.
- 2012 "DRIP BOMB," published by ERECT LAB., Tokyo, Japan
- 2012 "LEAVE ME ALONE," self-published, Tokyo, Japan
- 2010 Nominated for HIPHOP VIDEO "2010 SPACE SHOWER TV MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS" / TETRAD THE GANG OF FOUR / LAILA dir. yoshimitsu umekawa.
- 2009 "Amebreak AWARDS 2009 BEST VIDEOs" / MIC AKIRA / ILLBOYFRIEND pt.1 (album ver.) feat. NIPPS dir. yoshimitsu umekawa
- RECENT GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2012 "WELLDONE," Raum 1F, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012 "STREET THAN PARADISE," Moscow Lounge, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012 "The second KONYAGATANAKAMENBUDOUKAI," LIQUID & LOFT, Tokyo, Japan
- 2011 "HOUYHNHNM PHOTO EXHIBITON," SUNDAY ISSUE, Tokyo, Japan
- 2009 "Good to be mummy," YAMAMOTO GENDAI, Tokyo, Japan
- 2009 "100 Photographers 2009 Love＆Peace," curated by COMMERCIAL PHOTO, Tokyu Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan
- 2007 "POCKET FILMS Festival in Japan," Theme Program, Shinko Kaijyo, Yokohama, Japan
- 2007 "THE ROYAL HOUSE exhibition," MONKY GALLERY, Tokyo, Japan
- 2007 "FANCY HEAD," 2 persons exhibition with Kensei Yabuno, BEAMS GALLERY, Tokyo, Japan
- 2005 "FREMED," curated by SURFACE TO AIR, BBS, Tokyo, Japan
- 2005 "N.W.B.A Public/image.," YAMAHA EXREALM, Tokyo, Japan
- 2004 "TORI EXHIBITION," tranqroom, Kyoto, Japan
- 2004 "CPF meet TORI EXHIBITION," CPF, Tokyo, Japan